Monday 3 March 2014

DIY: The Sequin Hairband

 
the beginning of the project!
I absolutely love hairbands and wear them often to ‘spice’ up an everyday outfit! I think they are a great accessory to any coloured and styled hair you may have at the moment, and can help a perhaps dull outfit become more exciting for any occasion. There is no end to how great an accessory they can be!
Now, I purchased most of my hairbands some years back and then their style was spot on with whatever fashion that was rocked out. Fast forward to now and most, if not all, are really… yeah, outdated to say the least. Instead of throwing a perfectly good hairband out and purchasing a new one, I have altered a few of mine with little means and the results have always been many compliments, fascination and wonder. Apparently people do pay attention to hairbands!

The sequin hairband is my third DIY hairband project and my third favourite (I may, perhaps, at a later point show one of my other), where I had chosen I wanted something subtle, yet could stand out. Yeah, that didn’t even make a lot of sense in my head. You can obviously choose many different colours to do one in, but I opted for black/dark blue. I am really happy with the result, although I was surprised by the amount of time it took to finish it.

me wearing the completed hairband... sorry about the quality of the picture!
What you need to make this,
·         A hairband (one that is covered in some fabric).
·         Sequins… loads of sequins (buy them on sale).
·         Beads... same amount of beads as sequins (you can buy beads in most thrift shops).
·         Needle and thread.
·         Patience!

Step by step,
-       Get your needle and thread ready.
-       Sew into the hairband first to secure the thread, and don’t worry, you don’t be able to see the knots of the thread in the end.
-       The thread goes through the sequin, the bead and then through the same sequin again.
-       As you have tightened the sequin in place, you sew into the hairband again.
-       Repeat the above steps necessary to complete your hairband.

Note: You don’t have to COMPLETELY cover your hairband in sequins, as in, I did sequins until it reached the tip of my ear (I put on the hairband and measured). I did that due to the possibility of using the hairband for many different hair styles, but also… it can get rather itchy, I find, with sequins and beads behind your ear.

What do you think of this DIY? Could you image updating one of your hairbands?

Until next time,
Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment