Thursday 27 March 2014

Currently reading: the Divergent series by Veronica Roth

I know, I know, I know, there was no blog post this Monday. I felt slightly bad about it, but overall I didn’t because I was admittedly rather stressed out by my lecturers and my workload, and just needed some room to de-stress and relax with a book. And I did just that, but with a trilogy if you recognize the title of this blog post… Actually, I finished them all in two days, but thought I would write a blog post about them because the whole hype of the books and the movie.
My friend had recommended the trilogy to me, so to make it up to her for not reading the Hunger Games series I decided to read the Divergent series. I read the first book, Divergent, in under 3 hours before I had to go to bed and then took the two other books, Insurgent and Allegiant, the next day as I felt I needed to know what the hype was about (and because I am a fast reader).

This is probably a very unpopular opinion of the series, but they beyond disappointed me. Seriously, I am so disappointed and for the life of me can’t understand where all that hype came from. I am honestly not that critical of books, despite reading many ‘intelligent’ books as required by my education, and I am actually a huge fan of YA books in general, but these… I really don’t think they lived up to the standard of many other YA books I have read in the past.

The whole concept of the books of you being divided into fractions, society is build up differently and the rebels might not be better than those ruling society before is beyond fascinating and refreshing. I honestly really liked that, but sadly, it only worked for the first book, as the idea/concept was never further evolved. Why didn’t you evolve the idea, Roth?! It was such a brilliant idea! Tris is kinda on the border of unlikable and likable character, then tilts to the likable side, but I liked it was a fine line because it makes it rather interesting despite the main character has (at least in my opinion) to be likable.
However, the whole ‘let’s fight the people who has the power’ becomes so redundant as it literally happens over and over again without the details or the reason are changed, making the parallels too obvious and overused. Furthermore, the constant trust issues Tris and Four have with each other… It becomes annoying, despite actually liking them, and boring because it gets to the point where they only have trust issues and there aren’t any happy moments (not that they had many to begin with) that make up for it. It has to be a balancing act if it has to work… and it simply didn’t. Oh, and please don’t get me started on the ending… It was too out of character for me.

I really only liked the first book, Divergent, and I will probably read that one again and hopefully see the movie at some point (because Theo is handsome and Shailene is amazing), but Insurgent and Allegiant … sorry. I am not reading those again.


Have you read the Divergent series? What do you think about it?

Until next time,
Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment