Thursday 13 February 2014

DIY: The Diary Calender

The few steps... and the end result.
A few years ago I spotted this this post and was instantly loved the idea. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I suddenly remembered the DIY idea and decided to make it as a birthday present for one of my best friend, although with a few differences in terms of practicality and personalised. My friend is the type who has almost everything and is a creative soul as well, thus a more sentimental present seemed rather suiting. This diary calendar is definitely that in my opinion.

What you need to make this,
·         approx. 122 pieces of paper (I made for 9 years – one line by).
·         A scissor to cut the paper.
·         A pen or stamp to make the dates on the papers.
·         12 pictures, cards or postcards (one for each month; I have illustrated with far less mainly because I didn’t want to show private pictures).
·         A box (I choose one that had a timeless design) you can bring with you.
·         Patience and time.

Measurements and calculations,
·         9 lines per day (for 9 years), 27 lines per page, 3 days per page, 365 days a year / 3 days per page aka approx. 122 pieces of paper (perhaps a little more in case you make mistakes).
·         A paper day is 15cmx8cm (lengthxheight).
·         A picture is 13cmx10cm (lengthxheight).
·         The box is 17cmx11cmx5cm (lengthxwidthxdepth).

Step by step,
1.     Measure and mark your papers (you can buy linear paper, print paper with lines, draw lines, etc.).
2.     Cut the days to its proper size with a scissor.
3.     Take a pen or a stamp and mark each day with a date (remember February 29th!).
4.     Take 12 pictures, cards or postcards and place them as month dividers (I got 12 pictures developed, which doesn’t cost much nowadays).
5.     Place everything in the box.
6.     Wrap it up… and voila!

I shall wrap up the present in the best way I can and then hope my friend will like this present when I finally present it to her. At least I enjoyed making it and looking through old photos of us.


Do you think my friend will like this? And what is the latest DIY thing you have made?

Until next time,
Mia 

No comments:

Post a Comment