Saturday 26 April 2014

Easter Holidays; Home & Brussels

Lately I have been living up to my name by being quite MIA over the last period. It isn’t because something negative in my life happened, merely that something called Easter came along and gave me over a week’s vacation. Much need vacation, I might add. I haven’t had a vacation since October due to university courses, assignments and exams. So, naturally I decided to pull the plug and just… do nothing at all, well, almost nothing at all.

Many people were heading home for Easter.
Oh, Luna...
The first five days of my vacation was spent being home at my parents, brother and dog, as I haven’t really been home since New Year. That is a really long time! But I enjoyed it so, so much… I helped in the garden, I ate the delicious cake my brother baked, I went to a showroom (auction) with my brother and mother, I joked around with my father, and I went on so long walks with the dog. The picture above is from one of these walks, where Luna had picked up a really long stick and had to go through the opening in the bushes only to discover that she couldn’t get through with the stick. It took a couple of tries before she figured it out.

After those five days, I headed off to Brussels to spend five days with one of my best friends who is currently an intern down there (or is it over there?). I had missed her a lot, so it was great to spend time with her and explore the city, even though its cobblestone roads were awful to my feet (and quite possibly murdered them). We saw quite a lot – chocolate outlet, LEGO exhibition, Atomium, the Royal Greenhouses, the EU district, Grand Plaza, Brussels’ city museum and many fancy buildings – and ate a lot – chocolate, fries and waffles – and simply had a really good time. I didn’t take many pictures, but I still decided to share some with you.
Brussels' airport welcomes you by showing expensive cars.
Chocolate outlet, where you could try everything without paying.
Atomium... It was huge!
Yummy!
At the end of the building, the Royal garden just opened up.
A small part of the Royal Greenhouses.
(While I really enjoyed it and was only in Brussels to visit my friend, I wouldn’t recommend the city to visit as a tourist. The airport was really confusing (I might have gotten lost a couple of times) due to horrible signposting. In addition, people don’t really speak English – not even on a tourist level. It is French or Flemish. It was really rare I met anybody who could speak/understand English, but also the museums didn’t have descriptions of pictures and statues in English. It was pretty hard to understand anything, though lucky my friend could a little French which was a blessing. Please consider that before heading to Brussels.)

As I left Brussels and its awesome sunny weather (22 degrees C) that kindly gave me a tan, I headed back to my own apartment in Denmark. I honestly had the intentions of making a blog post upon returning home. However, the +8 hours travel time took forever to leave my body – six days after and I am still feeling it – so I pressed pause and tried in the maintime to focus on university and life in general. But I am back now and will do some blog posts in the next couple of days to make up for it – and to show what I bought (not much, I can reveal).


What did you do for Easter? Where you lucky with the weather?

Until next time,
Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment