Sunday 10 May 2015

DIY: Lavender Body Scrub




We are slowly nearing the summer season, where hopefully the weather will be kind and allow us to wear summer clothes and soak up those d-vitamins from the sun. I am in much need of the d-vitamins, as we Danes don’t get much during the rest of the year. However, I must admit my skin is on the drier side and isn’t ready to be shown off yet.   
To prep my skin for the sun and give it enough moisture, I make a lavender body scrub that I learned from FriHuset. The scrub makes my skin really soft… and that makes me feel like a princess.


What you will need for making this:
  • Extra virgin olive oil.
  • Dried lavender.
  • Atlantic sea salt.
  • Jar(s).
  • Spoon.
  • Optional: labels.


These things can be found in your local supermarket or health food shop easily. If you are feeling extra up for this DIY, you can make your own dried lavender if you have any lavender bushes in your garden. I made my own dried lavender as I was allowed to cut some from my parents’ lavender bushes. All you do is cut off some lavender stems, and then you bind them together and hang them up for drying in a dry and non-sunny place for 5-7 days. Afterwards you remove the buds from the stem and throw away the stems as you will only need the buds. Simple as that! If you have more than you need you can store the dried lavender in a jar.

The mixing ratio is 1:1:1, which is what makes this recipe so easy – if you use 1 cup of lavender, then you use 1 cup of olive oil and 1 cup of sea salt. Once you have mixed the ingredients together, you should take some if your hand and feel the consistency. If you like the consistency, then great! If not, then add more of what you feel is needing. Personally, I like for there to me more lavender in mine, whereas my mother likes more olive oil.

When using this, you take an amount of the body scrub in your hands and squeeze tightly only to put the remaining over in the other hand. The oil will make the salt and lavender stick to your hand, so you use your hand as a glove. Then you just scrub whatever part of your body. And repeat.
However, please be aware of seemingly large salt pieces and remove them before scrubbing! Those pieces can cut into your skin and you can get some unflattering scratches – I say this from experience.

All in all, this is a very cheap body scrub compared the ones you can buy on the market, but it works just as well. It also makes the cutest hostess present.

Did you like this DIY?


Until next time, 
Mia ♥ 

No comments:

Post a Comment