Sunday 26 April 2015

DIY: Restoring Børge Mogensen Rocking Chair

The rocking chair in is original state from the seller.



The rocking chair in its orignal state minus pillow. This was before I began sanding it down.

After it was sanded down. There are still marks from - what I believe - water damage, but it was impossible to sand down. It gives the chair quite the charm, however.

It has just gotten some beeswax. The difference in the colour can be seen in the pictures quite clearly. 

The rocking chair with the newly sown pillow, which fabric needed to be changed as it was smelling quite badly. 

The finish result of the rocking chair. I have thrown a sheepskin rug from IKEA over it because I love that style, and it makes you sit a bit better in it. Also I added a homemade pillow made from fabric with woodland creatures and sown some buttons on it.  

My little brother kindly bestowed a rocking chair upon me for my birthday this year. Side note: my birthday is in mid-December. So, I consider it a very early birthday present from him. He found it at an antique shop and needed to be restored as it was run down, but he knew I would be up for the challenge as I have restored several furniture before. Børge Mogensen who was a very famous Danish furniture designer designed the rocking chair.   

It took me about 2-3 hours to sand it down with sandpaper in hand only – no machine used – and then an hour on sowing the fabric for the pillow and giving the chair beeswax. The fabric was bought in a local craft shop, though I am familiar with the fabric as I have used it for my dining chairs as well. The beeswax brings out the wood’s colour and gives it such a nice finish; you can always give it more beeswax over time to make sure the colour last. Though I will tell you that it is the last time I am sanding down anything in cold weather as it brought me a cold, and it was generally difficult moving around with a patted jacket on. Damn you, Danish weather and my weak immune system!

However, I am very pleased with the result! I think you are generally much happier with a furniture you have restored yourself rather than buying something that you bought new and fits in straight away. The hard work pays off, at least in my case.

If you ever consider restoring a piece of furniture yourself, I would simply say ‘go for it’. When I started two years ago with my first project, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing and simply searched the internet for advice, and now I have a pretty good idea about what I am doing. I think?

Have you ever tried restoring a piece of furniture? If so, what? And how?


Until next time,
Mia ♥ 

No comments:

Post a Comment