Sunday 2 August 2015

My Trip to Cambridge


Old Court, Selwyn College from my room
In early July, I went to Cambridge in England to attend University of Cambridge's International Summer School. I did it for 'fun' and for the experience, though I am hoping to be able to get some credit from my home university. Anyway. During my stay, which was only for term I meaning 2 weeks, I stayed at Old Court which is a part of Selwyn College. It is beyond beautiful and pictures don't do it justice, I swear. There I had my own room, but shared bathroom with others on my floor. It was fairly easy as the bathroom was somehow always free when I needed it to be. While my room was far from modern it was comfortable and had everything I needed for my stay. They took great care of us; we were seated in the dining hall and served a 3-course meal every evening, a full buffet style breakfast every morning and you could buy lunch or something else during the day. The food was really good in my opinion, though it didn't differ much from the food I know from Denmark.
towards the town
I took three courses as a part of the Interdisciplinary Programme, which meant my courses could be a combination of literature, history and politics, though there were different programmes depending on your interests. The teaching styles varied greatly, but the teachers were amazing. Especially my history teacher was beyond brilliant; it was like watching a performance every time, which is very unique but also amazing. He was very inspiring. 
the river where you could go punting
The college isn't placed far from the town, so I walked in there a couple of times. It was unbelievable busy with tourists, but still the charm was present with the old buildings, cute shops and the marked. There was more of a selection than what I am used to, so I was rather overwhelmed. But I did do a bit of shopping, which will feature in a future post. Also, I visited some museums and the Big Weekend, which was a festival kinda event during one of the weekends I was there. It was all look and I met a real Dalek.
one of the many bridges
At the end of my stay I honestly didn't want to head home. It was such an amazing and unforgettable experience, which I wish everybody could have. If you get the chance to attend the summer school - GO! You learn so much - not just from attending classes, but also from talking to people from other nationalities and hearing about their society and culture. It is a really rich experience... and I can't wait to attend again. I am hoping, beyond hoping to be able to get a scholarship next year and attend again because I really loved every single moment of it.
the chapel at King's College
the gardens at Newnham College
the dining hall at Selwyn College

Until next time,
Mia ♥ 

No comments:

Post a Comment